1.08.2010

Skillet Biscuit Bread



2 cups unbleached self-rising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Combine four, buttermilk and oil in a large bowl; stir with a fork to combine.  Do not overmix.  With floured hands, gently knead dough in bowl to form a ball; dough will be sticky.  Generously oil a straight-sided, heavy 8- or 9-inch skillet and set over medium heat.  Pat dough into skillet.

Cook over medium heat until set and browned in spots on the bottom, 7 to 8 minutes.  Using a spatula, slide or lift onto a plate.  Invert into skillet and cook until other side is browned in spots and bread is thoroughly cooked, 5 to 6 minutes.  Transfer to a plate and cut into wedges.  Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.  Serves 8.

My notes:

I used powdered buttermilk.  I added a couple pinches of salt...just seemed like something was going to be missing if I didn't.  I think I overmixed just slightly and one side was a little tough.  Be careful with the mixing and kneading and don't overdo.

This may well become the new family from-scratch biscuit recipe.  I have tried lots of biscuit recipes and have yet to find one that I was pleased with...until now.  It makes one big huge biscuit and it's GREAT and SO EASY!

No comments:

Post a Comment