6.23.2011

All-Day Apple Butter


Ingredients 5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.

Cover and cook on high 1 hour.

Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.

Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.

Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.

Water bath for 10-15 minutes.

My notes:
I have made this one twice now.  I got 12 jars (half-pint) the first time and about 15 the second time. Used 5 1/2 to 6 pounds of apples the first time.  Second time just crammed as much as possible into the crockpot...probably around 6 1/2 pounds.
The spices...Well, as far as cinnamon goes, I'm one of those "if a little's good, a lot's better" people.  Can you really get too much cinnamon in something?  Just askin.  So, here's what I did on the spices. 2-3 tablespoons of cinnamon, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of cloves, nutmeg & allspice, and about a 1/2 teaspoon of ginger.  Now then, that's better!
Before I did this, I knew just enough about a water bath to look stupid in a conversation.  So, I did some online research, read up on it, and poof...now I know what I'm doing.  The original recipe did not require a water bath.  But what I discovered in my research was that IF you do a water bath, whatever is in the jars will last longer.  Now, I know this stuff ain't gonna last long at my house.  BUT, I did give several away and I don't know how long it's gonna sit on someone else's shelf.  So, there ya have it.
If you ever had a hankerin' to make jams or jellies of any sort, this is a really easy place to start.  The only previous experience I had was strawberry jam with a friend a couple of summers ago...and she knew what she was doing.  I was just there for moral support.  (o:  Let me know if you try this one.  I would love to hear whatchya think.

1 comment: