6.12.2011

Microwave Chicken Tortilla Casserole

I had a house full of company (the 6 of us plus all 4 grandparents) when I made this one, so I failed to get a picture of it. But I got the recipe from Southern Plate and she always has some good pics of her food. So, if you must see it, click on the link above and check it out.

Ingredients
2 cups chicken (give or take, just use however much you have)
8 oz sour cream
2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup french fried onion, divided
4 ounce chopped green chilies
1 pkg taco seasoning
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 -10 inch flour tortillas

Directions
Place chicken, sour cream, half of cheese, half of onions, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, and chopped cilantro in a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine. Tear one tortilla into small pieces and add to bowl, stirring again until well incorporated.

Line a pie plate with remaining tortilla and spoon mixture into it. Place in microwave for five minutes.* Remove and top with remaining onions and cheese. Microwave for one minute more, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

*Note: Microwave ovens vary widely in temperature so you may need to alter the cooking time to suit your microwave. Since the chicken is fully cooked, there isn’t a danger of under cooking this meal so you can just go with these guidelines and give or take a minute or so if you feel it needs it. This is a VERY flavorful casserole and leftovers heat up really well.

My notes:
When I read the original recipe, it recommended using a rotisserie chicken purchased from the deli.  My plan was to do that, but the only ones they had read when I was at the store were BBQ.  Obviously I wasn't going to use BBQ chicken in a mexican dish, and I didn't have the 20 minutes it was gonna take for another one to be ready.  So, I went with canned all white meat chicken.  I used 2 of the large cans.

I don't remember the total ounces of the can of french fried onions, but I ended up using the whole can.

Go easy on the cilantro.  I didn't really measure when I was putting mine in and I must have gotten a little heavy handed with it.  It was a little strong, but still quite tasty and no one DIDN'T eat it.  (o:

So, the verdict?  I will make this one again...probably several times...throughout the summer.  I love that I didn't have to heat up my house because all the cooking was done in the microwave.  I doubled the recipe to make 2 of them and served 6 adults and 4 children.  We had about 2/3 of one of them left over and everyone got all they wanted.  It was accompanied by a green salad, chips, salsa & cheese dip.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment