1.20.2011

Valentine Brownies

When I discovered this recipe in the February 2011 issue of Good Housekeeping, I had to give it a try.  I have never made brownies from scratch (always a mix) and the write-up that accompanied the recipe mentioned crunchy meringue-like tops with a fudgy brownie underneath.  I was sold.  I had to try it.  Plus, I already had all but one ingredient on hand!  Now, of course, it took a little more time than a mix.  But the question is was it worth the time and ingredients?  YES YES YES.  Without a doubt, YES!  The top is indeed crunchy and meringue-like and the inside is chocolate overboard.  Then again, with 3 different kinds of chocolate, it was bound to be decadent.  I didn't take a picture because...well, they don't look any different from the brownies I usually make with the help of Betty Crocker.  And I didn't figure such a picture would help much.  However, trust me on this one and go to the sto right now and get the stuff to make these.  You won't be disappointed!  To say they are impressive is an understatement!!!



Ingredients
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut up
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 9x13 pan with foil; grease.

2. In saucepan, melt butter and chocolates on low, stirring.  Remove from heat.

3. In bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt.  Set aside.  In large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat eggs until blended.  Gradually add sugars; beat 10 minutes or until tripled in volume.

4. Fold in chocolates and vanilla, then flour mixture.  Pour into pan.  Bake 28-32 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out almost clean.

My notes:
It says large eggs, but I used extra large because that's what I had.

The recipe didn't say to do so, but I stirred my sugars together in a bowl before I gradually added them to the eggs.  And, yes, it really does take 10 minutes to triple the volume of the egg/sugar mixture.  This step is important.  Beat egg/sugar mixture until it is pale yellow and literally leaves a ribbon when you lift the beaters and let the mixture drizzle onto itself.

On the "fold" step, be sure and actually FOLD.  You don't want to lose all of that air you just took 10 minutes beating in.  Go slowly...it's worth it.

The suggested 28-32 minutes wasn't enough time in my oven.  Usually things bake more quickly in my oven than the recipe suggests.  That leads me to believe the 32 minutes isn't gonna cut it for other people too.  It took closer to 40 minutes for me.  My suggestion is go with 30, then test it with a toothpick.

No comments:

Post a Comment