1.24.2012

Cranberry Scones

I found this recipe at the Taste of Home website. I had been looking for a scone recipe so I could smear from of my homemade lemon curd on it.  Really I am always looking for an excuse to bake something and well...you get the point.  So, these are quite tasty.  I have found that most people either love scones are not so much.  I am a lover of scones.  Enough of that...here ya go.

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powderr
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter
3 tablespoons 2% milk
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 teaspoon coarse sugar

Instructions
In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl, combine milk and 2 tablespoons of the beaten egg; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.  Stir in cranberries.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Cut into four wedges. Separate wedges and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining egg; sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4 scones.

My notes:
Yes, you really do beat the egg, then spoon out 2 tablespoons of it into the 3 tablespoons of milk.  Strange, but that is what you do. After I added that to the dry ingredients, I was in the process of combining "just until moistened." However, it never got moist.  So I added more milk...can't give you a precise measurement here, because I just poured...probably a couple of tablespoons.

I followed all the other directions and they turned out beautiful and oh so yummy!  If you like strong lemon or citrus, you have got to make the lemon curd as well so you can smear it on each delicious bite!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment