3.23.2013

Cheesy Bacon Tomato Grits

So, I didn't grow up eating grits. Mom didn't fix grits and the few times I HAD to eat them at an event or at someone's house, it was unpleasant at best. Warm, wet and bland. That's the way I would describe them every time. It took all I had to choke 'em down. Then, a couple of years ago, Mom and I ate lunch at Bryce's Cafeteria in Texarkana, AR. For some reason, I ordered their BLT grits. Still not sure why I did it, but boy, am I glad I did! I fell in love with them and we immediately set out to recreate them. We skipped the "L" since there was no lettuce in the original, and well, why would you put lettuce in grits. Furthermore, why would you include it in the name if it wasn't in the dish!? I digress. So, we have recreated these a few times now and every time is a little different and every time we fail to write down how we made 'em...until now. Even if you think you don't like grits, please try these. They are amazing! Sorry no pic right now, I'm working on the iPad and I can't figure out how to access my pics to post it. I'll add the pic as soon as I figure it out.

Get this:
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1 cup quick grits
1 can rotel (drained well)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 pound of bacon, cooked & chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt & pepper to taste

Do this:
Place the milk, water & salt into a large pot over medium-high heat & bring to a boil. Once the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually add the grits while continually whisking. Once all of the grits have been incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover. Remove lid & whisk every 3-4 minutes to prevent grits from sticking or getting lumpy. Make sure to get into corners of pot when whisking. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until mixture is creamy.

Remove from heat, add pepper and butter and whisk to combine. Stir in rotel and bacon then gradually stir in cheese a little at a time.






No comments:

Post a Comment